5/2/12

Maps


The biggest idea that I latched onto while I was at college was investigating how I felt about my distance from my childhood home.  It's not the most innovating idea ever but it's something that I think about a lot, and was able to spark passion into new art projects.  Living in the world we do now, I also knew that my view was a subjective one.  To get a more rounded view on the subject you'd have to ask a lot of people, so that's what I did.

BRADFORD RUSICK, OHIO

This piece had an audio component.  A small recorder placed behind the panel played "I Can Go The Distance" from Hercules.

I made many panels while at Montserrat.  It became almost a ritual where every Sunday I'd go to the wood shop make a panel or two then gesso them that night.  It felt fitting that part of my senior project would be giving away panels for other people to make art on.  The proposal went like this: I would give you a panel with a map on it.  In one corner would be Beverly Massachusetts, in the other was your childhood home.  The catch is that the scale of the map is fixed among all the panels.  So if you're from New Jersey you would have the smallest panel, and if you're from Texas you would have the largest.  The idea being that even if you completely covered the map up, the size of the panel would indicate the distance away from home.

IVY FOWLER, MARYLAND

I gave these panels away to friends asking them to make art on it that has to do with how they feel about their distance from home.  There were no restrictions besides that simple prompt.  Whatever they brought me after they were done, I would do my best to hang.  I didn't critique any of the pieces or try to tell them what to do.  I wanted the end result to be just the individual input of ten artists.  What it all means when all the pieces were brought together is up to the viewer, which is another idea that excites me.

JENSINA OHLY, MINNESOTA

Sorry for the photo quality from here on out.  For some reason after years of borrowing DSLRs from friends and having great documents of my work, during my senior show I was unable to procure one.  So instead I decided to use a camera my mom had sent me as a birthday gift.  It captures video which is nice but the photo quality kind of sucks.  I was pretty burned out by this point and had other things on my plate I needed to get done in order to graduate.  Another thing that didn't help was that usually when you hang work you can photograph it right there 'cause it's on 60 on center, but with this show because the pieces are stacked photographing the show gives you these weird angles.

JORDAN ELQUIST, TEXAS

JUDITH SHIMER, OHIO

KALIMAH MUHAMMAD, NEW JERSEY
KEVIN ILACQUA, NEW YORK


ROSY FARNAN, VIRGINIA

SUZY EVANS, OHIO

AARON BERGER, KENTUCKY

No comments:

Post a Comment